Monday, February 14, 2005

STAGE 2: Install mySQL and myODBC

The plan of attack for Stage 2 is this:

INSTALLING mySQL (Cert in Web Apps CD)

Okay, I charged right in and tried to install it from the zip archive on the CD. Don't, it doesn't work!!!

Extract the zip to a temp directory on your hard drive, then double click "setup.exe".

I jjust followed the wizard through (paying no attention to the EULA etc.... as usual) and it got to the end.

Appendix A in mySQL in 24 hours has more detail if you need it.

STARTING UP mySQL

Great, I thought, I'lll find the icon in the Programs menu and fire it up. Trouble is the mySQL install doesn't set up a Programs group for mySQL or drop a short-cut on the desktop.

So, you have to find the .exe on the hard disk all by yourself (still with me?).

You find the .exe you need here:

c:\mySQL\bin\winmysqladmin.exe

When you first start mySQL admin it asks you to set up a username and password. So I gave it a user name and password without really understanding what I was doing.

INSTALLING myODBC (Cert in Web Apps CD)

The next bit is installing myODBC. Straightforward install. Just selected all the default options. Seemed happy.

ADD A DATABASE AND USER TO mySQL

I haven't done this yet but I'm only at the start of Hour 4 (14/02/2005). Maybe all will be revealed as I push forward through the book!!!

USING myODBC - CONFIGURE A SYSTEM DSN

You won't find a Prgoram Group for myODBC in your Programs folder either. You need to go into it via:

Control Panel>AdminstrationTools>myODBC-3-test

I got as far as "Test Data Source" - clicked it, it was happy that it could talk to "mysql-4.0.17-nt".


TEST WITH .CFM FILE

Okay, when I used this test page (drop the code below into an HTML document and save it as a .cfm file), my installation didn't work (see below). As of 14/02/2005, I am still trying to sort it out, but reckon reading mySQL in 24hrs could be the way forward!

<html>
<head>
<title>TT380 ColdFusion Test Page</title>
</head>
<body>
<cfquery name="databases" datasource="the data source name you used"
debug="yes">
show databases;
</cfquery>
<!-- Note: No output will be generated on the page from this query if the
connection is good, if not good an error is displayed on the page. -->
<cfoutput>
<p>Today is #DateFormat(now())#</p>
</cfoutput>
</body>


WHAT I HAVEN'T DONE

Is add a database and user in mySQL becuase I haven't read that bit in mySQL in 24 hours yet. Maybe when I do all that follows will magically drop into place. Still think this is complicated but I guess running a web server is or else we'd all be doing it!!!!

WHERE I GOT STUCK

Everything is okay right up to the point where I test it all using Alistair's 2nd test page (see above). I get the following error message displayed in Firefox:

Error Occurred While Processing Request

Error Diagnostic Information

ODBC Error Code = ()

Unsupported ODBC data source the data source name you used for ColdFusion Express. The data source may not exist or no driver is specified for the data source.

The error occurred while processing an element with a general identifier of (CFQUERY), occupying document position (6:1) to (6:81).

Date/Time: 02/13/05 21:35:10
Browser: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.7.5) Gecko/20041107 Firefox/1.0
Remote Address: 127.0.0.1
Template: c:\opensa\apache\htdocs\index2.cfm


HELP YOU CAN GIVE ME:

1. If anybody can interpret the above output from Firefox for me I would be v. grateful.

I'll read around mySQL in 24 hours a bit more a see where I get to. I'm out of my comfort zone using anything that doesn't have drop-down menus, maybe I'lll cure that phobia during the next 12 weeks!!!!

Maybe my questions are answered in mySQL Hour 4?

Comments:
Hi I'm no expert but should this line
datasource="the data source name you used" be changed to point to the ODBC datasource that you created ie xp1234?

regards
Guzzer
 
I think that you are right Jase.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?